What is a Closed-End Fund?
A closed-end fund (CEF) is a pooled investment product that has a fixed number of shares. Unlike traditional open-end mutual funds that consistently issue and redeem shares, CEF liquidity is provided in the secondary market.
There are several unique aspects of CEFs:
- Fixed pool of assets – there are minimal cashflows in and out of the fund which allows the manager to invest in less liquid positions, take leverage and minimize cash drag
- Secondary market trading – since many CEFs are listed on an exchange they can trade throughout the day rather than once a day as in open-end funds
- Redemption may not be at NAV – purchases and redemptions are made on the secondary market, not directly with the asset manager, and they often trade at a discount or premium to net asset value
- Minimums – CEFs generally do not have a minimum to invest beyond the cost of one share
Why invest in a Closed-End Fund?
The fixed pool of capital with minimal cashflows may allow the manager to take positions that are not available in open-end products. This can offer investors exposure to strategies not otherwise available to the general public. For example, a manager may be able to increase exposure to derivatives, implement leverage, or purchase fewer liquid investments.
Why invest in Voya Closed-End Funds?
Voya has been engineering and managing CEF solutions for over a decade and are committed to ensuring the strategies continue to meet their investment objectives
- One of the most experienced closed end fund platforms with a track record dating back over 30 years
- Brings together the depth of resources and experiences across a multi-billion-dollar investment management firm
- Expansive derivatives expertise to manage the options overlay and hedging strategies
- Designed to help generate income
- Seeks to provide an income stream to investors by paying distributions monthly or quarterly
- Provide diversified exposures across issuers, industries or geographies to help reduce risk, and better capture desired outcomes
- Construct portfolios to help minimize unintentional risks and improve risk-adjusted returns
- Integrated risk management helps ensure deliberate and controlled exposures
- Voya Asia Pacific High Dividend Equity Income Fund
- Voya Emerging Markets High Dividend Equity Fund
- Voya Global Advantage and Premium Opportunity Fund
- Voya Global Equity Dividend and Premium Opportunity Fund
- Voya Infrastructure, Industrials and Materials Fund
- Voya International High Dividend Equity Income Fund
- Voya Natural Resources Equity Income Fund
- Voya Prime Rate Trust